What to Expect at Your Consultation
Our initial consultation will give you or you and your child the opportunity to meet Dr. Shaver, learn more about orthodontics, receive a comprehensive exam and determine your or your child's orthodontic needs. Dr. Shaver will be happy to answer any questions or treatment concerns you may have. We will also provide a financial estimate and review our flexible payment plans with you.
WHAT TO EXPECT
During this initial 60 minute complimentary consultation, we will:
- Review your completed medical history form and insurance form.
- Take diagnostic records and complete a comprehensive exam.
- Create a customized treatment plan, including length of treatment.
- Discuss all financial information, insurance options and payment plans.
- Answer any questions you or your child may have about the proposed treatment.
If orthodontic treatment is not necessary for your child at this time, he or she will be placed on a six- or twelve-month recall interval for Dr. Shaver to monitor your child's developing teeth and jaws until your child is ready for treatment. These growth and observation appointments are free of charge.
Types of Orthodontic X-rays
At your initial consultation, we will take a series of two x-rays which are different than x-rays done by your general dentist.
- Cephalometric x-ray: provides a view of the jaw and front teeth and is used as a baseline to monitor growth in recall patients
- Panoramic X-ray: provides an entire view of the upper and lower teeth, root, jaw bone, jaw joint and allows evaluation of the number of baby, extra and/or missing teeth.
Unlike x-rays of the past, today’s high tech x-ray machines produce an insignificant amount of radiation. The radiation exposure of one modern x-ray is minimal.